Green spaghetti: A delicious and healthy twist on a classic dish
Spaghetti is one of the most popular and versatile dishes in the world. It can be paired with a variety of sauces, toppings, and ingredients to create different flavors and textures. But did you know that you can also make spaghetti green?
Green spaghetti is a fun and nutritious way to enjoy pasta, and it’s not as hard as you might think. In this article, we’ll show you how to make green spaghetti, what are its health benefits, and some tips and tricks to make it even more delicious.
What is green spaghetti?
Green spaghetti is simply spaghetti that has been colored with natural ingredients, such as spinach, basil, parsley, cilantro, avocado, or poblano peppers. These ingredients not only give the pasta a vibrant green hue, but also add extra nutrients, antioxidants, and flavor to the dish. Green spaghetti can be made with regular or whole-wheat pasta, or even gluten-free or low-carb alternatives, such as spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
How to make green spaghetti?
There are two main methods to make green spaghetti: blending and boiling.
The blending method involves pureeing the green ingredients with some liquid, such as water, milk, cream, or stock, and then tossing the cooked pasta with the green sauce. This method is ideal for making creamy sauces that coat the pasta well. Some examples of green sauces that can be made with this method are:
- Espagueti verde: A Mexican dish that uses roasted poblano peppers, cream cheese, sour cream, onion, garlic, cilantro, and chicken stock to make a rich and spicy sauce.
- Quick green pasta: A simple and healthy recipe that uses spinach, peas, cheese, onion, garlic, walnuts, olive oil, and evaporated milk to make a smooth and cheesy sauce.
- Avocado pesto: A vegan and gluten-free sauce that uses avocado, basil, garlic, lemon juice, pine nuts, olive oil, and nutritional yeast to make a creamy and tangy sauce.
To make green spaghetti with the blending method, follow these steps:
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the green ingredients with the liquid of your choice and blend until smooth. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid depending on the consistency you prefer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm up the green sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Serve hot or cold with your favorite toppings.
The boiling method involves adding the green ingredients directly to the boiling water along with the pasta and cooking them together. This method is ideal for making light sauces that have a fresh and herbal flavor. Some examples of green ingredients that can be used with this method are:
- Spinach: Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and antioxidants. It adds a mild and earthy flavor to the pasta.
- Basil: Basil is an aromatic herb that is commonly used in Italian cuisine. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It adds a sweet and peppery flavor to the pasta.
- Parsley: Parsley is another herb that is widely used in Mediterranean cuisine. It is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and flavonoids. It adds a bright and fresh flavor to the pasta.
To make green spaghetti with the boiling method, follow these steps:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and the green ingredients of your choice to the boiling water and cook until the pasta is al dente. The cooking time may vary depending on the type of pasta and green ingredients you use.
- Drain the pasta and reserve some of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot and toss with some olive oil or butter and salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some cheese or lemon juice for extra flavor.
- If the pasta is too dry, add some of the reserved cooking water to moisten it.
- Serve hot or cold with your favorite toppings.
What are the health benefits of green spaghetti?
Green spaghetti is not only delicious but also healthy. By adding natural ingredients to color your pasta, you are increasing your intake of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber that can benefit your health in various ways.
Some of the health benefits of green spaghetti are:
- It can boost your immune system: The green ingredients in your pasta can provide you with vitamin C, which is essential for your immune system function. Vitamin C can help prevent infections, reduce inflammation, and promote wound healing.
- It can improve your digestion: The green ingredients in your pasta can also provide you with fiber, which is important for your digestive health. Fiber can help prevent constipation, lower cholesterol levels, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- It can protect your eyesight: The green ingredients in your pasta can also provide you with beta-carotene, which is a precursor of vitamin A. Vitamin A is vital for your vision, especially in low-light conditions. It can also help prevent eye infections and age-related macular degeneration.
- It can lower your blood pressure: The green ingredients in your pasta can also provide you with potassium, which is a mineral that helps regulate your blood pressure. Potassium can help balance the effects of sodium, relax your blood vessels, and reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease.
Tips and tricks to make green spaghetti even more delicious
Green spaghetti is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your preferences and dietary needs. Here are some tips and tricks to make it even more delicious:
- Experiment with different green ingredients: You can use any green ingredient that you like or have on hand to make your pasta green. Some other options are kale, arugula, broccoli, asparagus, avocado, mint, cilantro, or lime juice.
- Add some protein: You can add some lean protein to your green spaghetti to make it more filling and balanced. Some good choices are chicken, turkey, shrimp, salmon, tofu, beans, or eggs.
- Add some crunch: You can add some nuts, seeds, or breadcrumbs to your green spaghetti to add some texture and crunch. Some good options are almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or panko.
- Add some spice: You can add some chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce to your green spaghetti to add some heat and flavor. You can also use fresh or dried herbs and spices, such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic, onion, or ginger.
- Add some cheese: You can add some cheese to your green spaghetti to add some creaminess and richness. Some good options are parmesan, mozzarella, feta, goat cheese, or vegan cheese.
Green spaghetti is a delicious and healthy twist on a classic dish that you can easily make at home. By using natural ingredients to color your pasta, you are adding extra nutrients and antioxidants that can benefit your health.
You can also customize your green spaghetti with different sauces, toppings, and ingredients to suit your taste buds. Try making green spaghetti today and enjoy a fun and nutritious meal.